When choosing a new front door, quite often your first decision will be whether to go with a solid wood door, or a GRP or composite door – but what are these exactly, and why are they so popular? Read on to find out more about this front door option, and why it could be perfect for you.
GRP stands for glass reinforced plastic, however it’s also known as fibreglass, and these doors are the most recent innovation when it comes to external doors. They are characterised by the fact that both sides of the door have a 2.5mm GRP outerskin which gives them several important advantages over traditional wood. These include:
- * Very durable – the materials used in the manufacture of a GRP door make them very resilient and much longer lasting than traditional wooden doors, which will age quicker and need replaced more frequently.
- * Available in a wide variety of colours and styles – which means that they can look like natural wood doors, but with added benefits, and can match all house styles and personal design preferences.
- * Very strong, thanks to the reinforced materials used within the core of the door, and with smooth and seamless construction methods.
- * When security is paramount, GRP doors are an excellent choice, as they come with a multi-point locking system, which is why they are so popular for exterior doors.
- * These doors require very little maintenance to keep them clean and in good working order, so once they’re in place there is little need to treat them to keep them looking like new. They also don’t discolour over time, unlike wooden doors which require regular treating and staining to keep them looking like new.
- * They have high resistance to denting, warping, bowing, twisting, splitting, peeling, flaking, cracking and fading, making them extremely weather resistant.
Based on the reasons above, it’s not hard to see why these doors are such a popular option for many homeowners, and at the Door Store we have lots of styles, designs and colours to choose from. We’ve picked a few of our favourites (and our customer’s favourites) to help you get started on your way to discovering your new front door:
GRP Contemporary – this door looks great thanks to the sandblasting detail in the glass panel which adds a modern twist and an element of privacy to the door.
GRP Oxford – this versatile door can be used as a front door as well as a kitchen door thanks to the multiple glass panels allowing lots of natural light to flood in. Choose your favourite colour to have this door style sprayed in and you can easily match it to your own home’s unique style.
uPVC Cathedral with bevelled glass – a very traditional style with stunning design features for an exterior door with style and substance.
Talk to us today about your exterior door needs – our trained sales team are ready to help you with any questions you might have. Find all our opening times on our website.